Secretary of State Brian Kemp is pleased to provide Georgia students with the opportunity to Intern. He would like to thank you for your interest in the Office of the Secretary of State (SoS) Internship program. This program is directed to provide a unique blend of practical work experience that compliments the student’s academic experience.
Opportunities within this program will allow the student to work in one of nine functional areas. This learning experience affords the student a view of the inner workings of state government and the Office of Secretary of State. Each intern will have a variety of responsibilities in which he or she will have assigned projects that relate to his or her field of study. Interns also have the opportunity to participate in several group activities that highlight the agency’s functions.
Fall, and spring internships are 18 weeks, and the summer internship is 13 weeks. Internship dates are set to coincide with the academic schedule of most Georgia colleges, universities, and law schools.
- Internships are approved on a semester basis
- Locations are Atlanta, Morrow, and Macon
- The Office of the Secretary of State does not provide housing for interns.
- Typical work hours per work week (20)
- Internships are paid at Federal Minimum Wage
To be considered for the Office of the Secretary of State Intern Program, interns must meet the following qualifications:
- Resident of Georgia with current enrollment in a Georgia college, university, or accredited law school; or
- Non-resident of Georgia with current enrollment attending a Georgia college, university, or law school
- United States citizen or authorized to work in the United States
- Provide current official transcript
- Successful criminal history records check (submit at time of offer)
- Completed application packet
- Current earned grade point average of 2.75 or above
- Current enrollment as a junior or senior in college, or enrollment in graduate or law school
All applicants must submit a completed application packet within the posting period outlined below. Application outside of the posting period will not be accepted.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
Interested students should submit a completed application packet (located here) and return it by the following deadlines:
|Application Due By:
||Internship Start Date:
December 1, 2012
January 7, 2013
||May 13, 2013
Applications must include:
- Two functional areas and indicate first choice or second choice on the application
- Completed application
- One essay, between 300-500 words in length, concentrating on your academic discipline and your objectives for this internship.
- Current résumé
- Two sealed Letters of Recommendation
Download an application packet
Applications can be faxed to 404-651-9530, or mailed to 2 MLK Jr. Dr. S.E. Suite 820, Floyd West Tower Atlanta, Georgia 30334, and must be received by the due date.
Late applications will not be accepted. Interns must indicate the divisions where they would prefer to work.
If you have any questions please
refer to the Intern Program FAQs. If you have further
questions regarding an internship with the Office of the
Secretary of State, please contact John Jurkiewicz at